Women in Science
Women in Science Committee
The Women in Science Committee is in the process of being formed. The future committee will be mandated with reviewing all internal practices and making recommendations for improvements that support the success of female faculty members in the Irving K. Barber Faculty of Science. For more information please contact Trudy Kavanagh.
Murch’s research investigates the chemistry of plants and how plant chemistry affects human health. She’s interested in cannabis ingredients and how they can be used in beverages for health, wellness and leisure.
Lael Parrott is an expert at striking a balance. A Professor of Earth and Environmental Sciences at UBC’s Okanagan campus, she recognizes that compromise is necessary for progress. Her goal is lofty—to solve “wicked” environmental problems—but her means are modest and realistic.
Associate Dean, Faculty and Research
Professor, Biology & Earth, Environmental and Geographic Sciences
Personalizing Medicine Treatments
In partnership with the BC Cancer Agency, UBC Okanagan researchers are uncovering why some patients fall ill from radiation therapy while other patients do not.
“The goal is personalized medicine. We are collecting data and studying why some patients get very sick from radiation. We want to know why these patients’ bodies react this way and if there’s a mechanistic basis to this reaction.
Assistant Professor, Medical Physics
Women in Science and Engineering (WiSE) Mentoring Program
To support the success of young women transitioning from their undergraduate education to a career in science or engineering, and to prepare and mentor them to remain in scientific careers.
- UBC Bursaries for Graduate Students
- Women in Physics and Astronomy
- Diversity in Computer Science
- Jade Projects and Presentations
- Changing our World: Keynote by Maria Klawe at 2009 Jade Celebration
- UBC Graduate and Post-doctoral Studies policies and procedures on leaves
- Employee and Family Assistance Plan
- NSERC: Paid parental leave for students and PDFs
Canadian and International
- Canadian Women in Mathematics
- Association for Women in Mathematics
- Distributed Research Experiences for Undergraduates in Computer Science and Engineering
- Grace Hopper Celebration of Women in Computing Conference
- Committee on the Status of Women in Computing Research
- Committee on the Advancement of Women Chemists
- Women Chemists Committee of the American Chemical Society
- Committee to Encourage Women in Physics – Canadian Association of Physicists
- Women in Physics: American Institute of Physics
- Society for Canadian Women in Science and Technology
- Canadian Coaliti